About "The Art of 21st Century Career Navigation"

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Conscious Capitalism & The Pursuit of Happiness...

One of my first mentors in New York was a former President of a television network. He gave me several pieces of advice which I have never forgotten: one was human nature is pretty consistent - you can learn about people by understanding human nature. The other piece of advice was if you have an important question you need answered, don't call one person and wait around for an answer...put out calls to three different people - and at least one will get back to you shortly.

This was a man who knew how to make things happen...he also suggested looking up any person you plan to meet with in Who's Who or similar resource before you meet them to be able to share a more interesting conversation (nowadays you can "google" or "bing" the name).

I have had the privilege of working with many interesting people in my lifetime, including extraordinary leaders and rising stars. I have been surrounded by people with ambition. But what I admire most is a person who has not only ambition, but also takes time to share their wisdom with others. Instead of just finding a job, look for people to share and learn from. It will make your career and life more successful!

How do you define Success?... To me, success is not just measured in dollars. Have you heard about "Conscious Capitalism?" I first heard the term a couple of years ago. John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods, is passionate about it (see web site below). So is Deepak Chopra. Perhaps the highest form of capitalism is not just about making money - but doing it in a way that also improves the lives of others...The point is success is not just measured in dollars - it can also measured in 'sense'.... Check out a video from the recent conference on Conscious Capitalism...sharing the power of purpose and the principle of interdependence.

http://www.consciouscapitalism.com/

In closing, I was asked to co-chair the 20th Reunion for my Business School this year (Kellogg) and plan to work with my committee to put together a panel of speakers to discuss this topic. How can YOU help others - did you know THAT is the key to happiness according to the latest brain research - finding something you are good at that also makes others happy....So if America was founded on the values of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness - maybe that is also what the solution to the global economy is all about?....

Stay tuned & best wishes until next time,
Sandra.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandra. I often tell my kids that the most important element that they need to look for in a career is happiness. Though my daughter is 19 and a rebel, she seems to listen. If you aren't happy at work 50 hours a week (or whatever your schedule is), find another job.

    I have had executive assistants in the past who come into work on Monday wishing it were Friday. Why waste your precious hours on earth wishing away 5/7 of your life - totally focused on the next weekend?

    So my long-winded answer to your success question is that happiness is the key. If my son chooses to work on the hood of muscle cars for a career and that makes him smile, then IMO, he has achieved more personal success than the doctor who dreads going to work every day just to bag a hefty salary.

    For some it's all about saving a lot for retirement. To me, that's sad. Why spend your time focused only on the future? For me it's about enjoying every single day and much of that is spent at work. That said, I'm selfish: I"ll confess that I want both the money and the joy and am fortunate to have both right now. I'd enjoy hearing your take.

    ReplyDelete